Intensive Yoruba in Nigeria: Fulbright-Hays Group Projects Abroad
June 11 – August 6, 2014
A participant in the Yoruba GPA must be a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident and one of the following:
1) Undergraduate student with 2-4 semesters of Yoruba language instruction.
2) Graduate student with 2-4 semesters of Yoruba language instruction.
3) College faculty, K-12 teacher, or administrator with interest in Africa.
Acceptance into the program will be made by the Yoruba GPA selection committee. Therefore, members of the committee will conduct oral proficiency interviews in Yoruba over the telephone with applicants who meet these criteria so as to determine the final list of candidates and alternates for funding. In anticipation of this, interested candidates should ask their Yoruba professors to give them practice speaking over the phone.
To apply, please complete and submit the following:
- Yoruba GPA application
- 1 – 2 page written statement detailing academic background and experience, as well as academic and career goals prompting the need for intensive study of Yoruba.
- Three letters of recommendation are also required (one of these letters should be from your most recent Yoruba instructor).
- Official academic transcripts from all institutions of higher learning attended.
Application Deadline: February 28, 2014
Please send application materials to:
Dr. Akintunde Akínyemí, Program Director
Department of Languages, Literatures, & Cultures
University of Florida
348 Pugh Hall
Gainesville, FL 32611
TEL (352) 392-7082
FAX (352) 392-1443