University of Florida Homepage

Student Feature: Emmanuel Akande

I am Emmanuel Akande, Ph.D student in Food and Resource Economics (FRE). I obtained my bachelor’s degree in Economics from University of Lagos, Nigeria, in 2008 where I graduated at the top rank of my class. I was admitted to Florida State University (FSU) where I obtained my Master of Arts (M.A) in Economics in 2012. As a master’s student, I published a paper titled “The Investment ShockSources of Fluctuations in a Small Open Economy” and I also worked as a researcher/project manager at the Florida State University Center for Economic and Forecasting Analysis (FSU-CEFA) for 2 years. My research interests in the Ph.D program include applied econometrics, resource and environmental economics and production economics. These research areas will enhance my research curiosity and guide my path in explaining the relationship of production activities and the preservation of our natural resources and environment.

Outside of research, I am currently the Mayor of Tanglewood village and, as the Mayor, I organize and preside over monthly resident meetings, I recently organized a Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) symposium for children over the age of 4, I coordinate the fitness classes for all the Graduate and Family Housing (Tanglewood, Diamond, Corry, UVS and Maguire) and lots more. My role as Tanglewood Mayor has obligated me to reach out to more people from different cultures and nationalities. I have also initiated and created a Parent Support Group (PSG) in Cuddly Kids Academy (CKA) and I am currently serving as the president of the group. The aim of the group is to produce a better relationship between teachers and parents and also provide a forum for parents to get involved in the classroom. Getting parents involved will help boost teacher-student relationships.

In 10 years from now, I plan to become part of the president’s economic team in Nigeria. As an office holder in that capacity, I will embrace costless but reliable polices that would provide economic tools in resource development and sustainability. As an effective leader, the foundation of possible and feasible economic structures will be laid to encourage the citizens whose hopes were dashed and show the world that effective leadership and sound policies are all what we need to be a great country.

CAS News Bulletin- Week of April 3rd, 2017